Friday, April 27, 2007

The last thing you want is the first thing you need

When we're sad, we want to crawl into a hole and not communicate with anyone. For whatever reason, we withdraw and crave "alone time". Is it because we don't want people to see us this way? Is it because wallowing in misery is for some reason more appealing than trying to be happy?

Next time you're feeling unhappy, do yourself a favor and get in touch with your friends. Call them, visit them, or simply email. You don't even have to tell them that you're down (although certainly do if you think it will help!).

Don't waste your time bitching about what's going on in your life. Explain the problem, but don't ask for a solution...you just want company.

So why does this work? It helps you forget about your other problems. Know why your other problems are so easily forgotten? Because they aren't important. It's the people in your life that are.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

when i'm sad I like to hide from people, and sometimes when I do manage to talk to friends it does help. but i think it helps more when I talk to friends who aren't involved in my day to day life. I enjoy hearing from people who are farther away. it probably has something to do with being reminded that there is a whole other world out there apart from my day to day living. it's easy to become wrapped up in all the little things that bug you every day, but when you hear from a friend in another state you're reminded that there is so much more going on out there.

other reasons I don't like to talk to people when I'm sad 1) I like that people think of me as generally happy most of the time, 2) I don't want to be seen as a whiner or complainer, 3) sometimes the people in my life are the ones stressing me out and I want to avoid them a little bit.