Friday, October 27, 2006

Big Change vs. Little Change

Is it enough to just enjoy life? Have you ever talked to someone whose future plans include "saving the environment" or "working with refugees" or even "getting involved in local government"? I have to say, I'm always pretty impressed. Regardless of whether they accomplish those things or not, it's still pretty damn noble to even be considering something like that.

So where does that leave the rest of us?

I honestly don't know why I'm not more interested making a difference outside the scope of my immediate influence. Sometimes, it's downright bothersome. If I'm not out there, making the most of my talents for the greater good, aren't I just a waste of space? It's hard not to let those thoughts creep in every once in a while.

While thinking about this a year or two ago, I finally was able to convince myself that I am making a difference, just on a much smaller scale. Much of what I am proud of is the example I set for friends and family with the person I am, and the values I represent.

Granted, this is not something I do consciously. In truth, it's probably just how I convince myself that it's okay not to aspire to widespread do-goodery. I only make small changes.

It's surprisingly easy to make a small difference in someone's life. Over time, it all starts to add up to something big.

I guess it's just like everything else in life. Each step you take is no big deal. Then one day you look back at how far you've come.

No comments: