Friday, June 01, 2007

On Sleep and Timeframes

Maybe this is totally off subject, but I can't seem to figure out a sleeping schedule. Basically, how much sleep I get doesn't seem to effect how tired I feel the next day, provided I get a certain amount (around 6 hours). If I have 10 hours to sleep, I'll sleep 10, and won't feel that much more refreshed. If I have 6 hours, I'll sleep 6, and be fine.

Sometimes it seems like I'm more tired when I get more sleep, but I can't prove that for certain. Are there any hard a fast rules that work for everyone? I always hear about 8 hours of sleep is the right amount. When I had the time, I used to get 10, then I realized that I was "wasting" 4 hours every day, so I started getting 6 and seemed to function exactly the same.

Maybe this is just a big metaphor for getting things done. If you are given a deadline, you'll set yourself up so that the task fills that allotted space, even if you could have done it in a much shorter time frame. If you watch Flip This House, they always set this ridiculously short deadlines that never seem like they are going to be met. But somehow, they always pull it off by really cranking in those last two days.

So try challenging yourself with an aggressive schedule and see how it works out.

No comments: