Sunday, January 07, 2007

How do you make a goal stick?

Make it into a competition of course!

After reading the article about the group of people who didn't buy anything new for an entire year, and then the blog of a guy who tried to feed him self for a month on $30, I felt like I could learn something from these crazy people.

So my friend and I made a deal. No eating out for an entire month.

Oddly, this is something I've been trying to get out of the habit for a while now. Apparently it wasn't going to matter how many times I told myself. I just wasn't committed to.

Technically I'm not even 3 days into the competition, but I have already learned that, for me, accountability to other people far outweighs my accountability to myself. It this true for anyone else out there?

I already know that the month will be successful because I don't want to admit defeat to her in the "vast competitive landscape". I'm already trying to come up with a plan for next month.

No comments: