Thursday, January 18, 2007

Just when you thought you were unique

I did a vanity search for my own blog and discovered that I'm not alone: www.onhappiness.com

It doesn't seem like I need to feel threatened by this site, but still, it was a bit of a downer. We all like to think we're special, and sometimes it's a bit of a defeat that expanding our field of vision means that we bump into someone just like us, only with a headstart in knowledge and experience.

Rather than an excuse for defeat, couldn't we use this as a source of motivation? There have been times where I've thought up a great idea, only to be put off later when I find out something similar exists. Why doesn't their success motivate me?

Why do we envy that which we want but do not have? If we want to be happier, shouldn't we seek out people that are happier and aspire to emulate them?

But not those people who are REALLY happy*. You know what I'm talking about...

*(...I think they're faking!...)

No comments: