Monday, February 26, 2007

On Nothing

I'm supposed to be writing something about happiness, about the grand meaning of it all. But nothing comes.

Perhaps this is a good sign.

Some monks, for example, teach clearing your mind of all thought as the path to true enlightenment. Happiness is not thinking. It just is.

I haven't thought much about anything for the last few days. I'm not anxious. I'm not confused about the future. I don't need anything to be different.

Not thinking is much easier said than done. The easiest way is through continuous distractions from the outside world. Vacation usually seems to do the trick. Since you're in unfamiliar territory, everything is fresh and distracting, even a normally mundane trip to the grocery store.

Arrange a day of distractions. At the end, spend a few minutes reflecting on how you felt throughout the day. It might be the best way to determine your true level of happiness.

No comments: