Monday, February 19, 2007

Dave Cheong gives us 15 Tips to Cope with a Demanding Life. After reading it I swear, it's like a summary of what I've been rambling on about for the last few weeks including:
  • Reflect on what's important
  • Simplify where possible
  • Adopt a positive outlook and approach to life

Things he mentions that I've never talked about? Talk to yourself and Learn to Say No. The only time I generally ever talk to myself is if I am trying to figure out a solution to a complicated short term problem. Kind of like adding by mumbling aloud, but with concepts beyond addition (yes, I'm onto other things now...have you heard of this crazy thing called "division"?). (If we have any habitual self talkers, please feel free to share with us below in the comments).

Learning to say No sounds like a good idea as well. In my mind, I'd like to count it as an extension to my musings on telling the truth (examples here and here). There are lots of reasons people say "Yes" when they'd actually like to say "No" including:
  • They don't want to hurt someone's feelings
  • They are being too nice
  • They are a pushover
  • They think of the immediate potentially negative reaction form the person asking, and seek to avoid it

Being nice to others is a great thing to do, but you don't always have to be nice...and certainly not at your own expense. Saying "Yes" that will cause you unhappiness is not a good habit to get into. Save your time and effort for a "Yes" that you will make you happy.

Trust me, you'll have plenty of opportunities.

No comments: