Thursday, March 29, 2007

Just how happy are we

Is it possible that as people, we're happier than we think we are? Unhappiness makes for a much better headline on the news. People in general are more likely to talk about problems they are having, rather than talk about their happiness.

This comes into my head often when I'm listening to music. The despair and negativity of the lyrics often seem to belie the attitude of the actual musicians, who generally seem happy. It's easy to look out and see sadness all around, and to believe you're somehow above it all. You're happier. You have things all figured out. But most other people don't.

It's easier to see what's wrong than what's right. Next time you're out in public, don't look around at sadness. Assume everyone you see is generally happy, and how that changes your perception of things.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I find that my consistent pattern in reacting to a given situation or event is: it may've been 98% fine, but my tendency is to mention the 2%, not to complain or be judgemental, but maybe just for the sake of reporting (or discussion?). Lots of people love to complain; others never have an ill word to say. I'm in between --a "two percenter" -- and I'm not sure why. Even if that 2% energy is essentially neutral (non-judgemental), why put it out at all? It serves no positive purpose. I know only a couple of people who are consistently positive (wink wink), and I admire them so for it.
(Topic for another day: How does the President deflect the overwhelming barrage of negative thought-bombs hurled his way every day?)