Wednesday, March 14, 2007

Living with unhappiness

I had a long talk with a friend today who said matter of factly, "I've come to accept the fact that I'll always be somewhat unhappy". Now I must ask...how many more people out there are telling themselves the same thing day in and day out?

Of course I realize that we can't all be happy all the time, but she was talking about a general unhappiness. She was talking about "settling" for the fact that there would always be unhappiness in her life that she would have to deal with.

But, why?

The word "settling" implies unhappiness. It means you really want something else, but you aren't going to try for it. Don't kid yourself, you decide whether or not to have things that make you unhappy in your life.

(I realize you may think that I am oversimplifying things here, but I challenge you to come up with examples unhappiness in your life that you cannot stake steps towards eliminating)

1 comment:

Matthew Pianalto said...

Maybe she has an unrealistic conception of what happiness is: maybe she needs to add a dash more Stoicism?